THE HISTORY OF OUR CLUB
The Invercargill Workingmen’s Club takes its origins back to a soccer club whose members founded the Corinthian Football Club at a time when Invercargill was still a “dry” area prior to World War II. In 1947 the association with soccer had come to an end and in that year the Corinthian Sports Club Inc purchased the building at 130 Esk Street.
The Club operated under a “locker system”, but did not have a charter and its liquor operations eventually came under the scrutiny of the police. The Club was raided in 1962 and its liquor stocks were confiscated, with the promise that they would be returned upon obtaining a charter.
The charter was granted on 24 April 1964, and operations continued happily (and legally) at 130 Esk Street for some years. In the meantime land was purchased on the corner of Tweed and Ythan Streets, but nothing eventuated by way of construction or use.
When the warehouse of Clarke & King at 154 Esk Street came on the market its potential was realised and a successful purchase was completed. The old clubrooms and the land in Tweed Street were subsequently sold. The warehouse building was really only a shell and was transformed almost entirely by voluntary labour. The expansion was opened in 1973 by the then mayor, Mr Russell Miller.
Since then expansion of the club premises has included the purchase of the Andrew Lees premises, John Mana’s house, Marshall’s Auto and recently the Dutch Club and the Trades Hall.
In 1998 the current building was opened with the completion of the Corinthian Conventions Centre. This allowed the Club to cater for public and members functions separate from the general Club activities such as National and South Island ClubsNZ Champs, weddings, birthdays, university exams, The Blood Bank, anniversaries, even a cat show!
We are now known as “The Club that has it all”.